Thursday, July 26, 2012

Saying Goodbye to Chicago, Part Ten: Chicago Cultural Center, Vol. 2

Most of the photos posted here will focus on architectural details found in one of the grand rooms of the Chicago Cultural Center, where the free concert (which was excellent!) took place yesterday. It is a lively, colorful room, thanks largely to the colorful mosaics featured on the walls. The Chicago Cultural Center also has some beautiful glass domes that are part of the ceiling in a couple of rooms. Unfortunately, I didn't care for the results of my attempts to capture them on camera.

I am going to strike a minimalist approach to providing text here, as so many of these photos are self-explanatory. I will write something only if I really feel called to do so. In other words, just enjoy the views!

Mosaic, Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago, IL
The "CPL" found in the mosaic circle here is the logo for the Chicago Public Libraries. In a previous incarnation, the Chicago Cultural Center served as Chicago's central library. Now, the main public library is Harold Washington Library, named after the late Mayor Harold Washington. I hope to get some photos of that library before I go.

Menorah detail, Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago, IL
Of course, as a Jew, I simply must take a photo of the menorah. It is simply beautifully done, and I always feel a sense of pride when my tradition is represented in something built for the general community.

Chaucer, author of The Canterbury Tales, Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago, IL

Spenser, author of The Fairie Queen, Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago, IL

The Great Master himself, only a different spelling, Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago, IL
Above are some of the great literary masters whose names grace the walls of the Chicago Cultural Center. While all three of these are English authors, the Chicago Cultural Center also bears the names of non-Anglophone writers.

Ceiling detail, Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago, IL

Preparing for the concert, Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago, IL
I managed to stay for half of the unanticipated piano concert before hunger drove me to find lunch. Unanticipated on my part, as I kind of stumbled upon this concert when I made my visit. But it is free and held every Wednesday, so next week I might be more intentional in my attendance. This room, by the way, has wonderful acoustics.

Egyptian hieroglyphics, Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago, IL

Hebrew, Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago, IL 
 Of course, I had to take a photo of the Hebrew inscription!

Arabic, Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago, IL

I'm assuming Chinese, Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago, IL

Greek? Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago, IL

Arches, Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago, IL

Which shines more brightly, the ceiling lamp or Wordsworth's name? Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago, IL
I was happy to see some of the Romantic poets recognized on the walls. Coleridge is listed on another mosaic plaque.


A quote from a literary master, Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago, IL
The walls carry quotations by many literary masters. Most of the quotations, if not all of them, make statements about the value of literature or books.

I have one more installment to make for the Chicago Cultural Center. There was just so much to appreciate and, in truth, the photos I post here are just a fraction of the photos I actually took.

No comments:

Post a Comment