Friday, September 6, 2013

Downtown Galveston, TX


Galveston is a small Gulf coastal city with a lot of charm.  A survivor of multiple hurricanes, including a large one in 1900, Galveston today sports some beautiful historic architecture that has repeatedly withstood the destructive force of nature.  Being located right on the Gulf, oil, from what I understand, is a big industry in Galveston, and so is tourism.  Along downtown Galveston's historic main street, a tourist can enjoy a wide selection of restaurants, entertainment venues, and art galleries and boutiques.  This is a gem in the state of Texas, and for multiple reasons.

Since I love both architecture and history, I fell in love with many of the old buildings that have stood strong against the test of time and disaster.  I was on vacation, and walking about town with a group of friends, and so I didn't pay much attention to plaques that were placed in front of the buildings.  But I know beautiful architecture when I see it and I want to share some great specimens here with you.

The sad thing is that many of the historic buildings in downtown Galveston are currently vacant, even though they are being kept up rather well.  The vacancy they endure tends to cast a slight shadow of desolation upon the downtown core, and while it is not overwhelming, it does help to provide an undercurrent of the bittersweet upon all of the downtown activity.  Let's hope that changes soon.



I love old Victorian buildings with their rich architectural detail, especially when they are festively decorated "painted lady"-style.



I have never had the pleasure of taking a cruise and was stunned to see the sheer size of this gigantic cruise ship.  When they compare these massive ships to small cities, they are not exaggerating.


Classic nautical themed photo.  Since childhood, I have been fascinated with ships and the open sea.



Above, the Galveston News Building, which was built in 1884 and survived over a century of fair and stormy weather.



Above, perhaps my favorite historic building in downtown Galveston, with all the ornate, multicolored architectural detail of the period that I love.  Vacant, like a number of buildings downtown.  I envisioned opening a coffeehouse here, or a vegetarian cafe, something much needed in the meat-obsessed Lone Star State.


A beautiful and stately historic building.  Downtown Galveston has successfully preserved its old time charm, which is very different from the strip that fronts the Gulf of Mexico.  Galveston is definitely worth the visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment