Sunday, August 26, 2012

On the Road, Part Two

Texas

Since Texas is a state larger than life, I thought I should make it the sole feature of its own post. Honestly, the only part of Texas I have traveled to (or through) is the panhandle, although with a friend now living farther south I might just see other parts of it yet. The panhandle is mainly flat land used for farming or ranching, although the beautiful Palo Duro Canyon lies just outside of Amarillo and you would never know it, unless you traveled to it. Texas is also a state that is unabashedly different from so many others, and so you get treated to some interesting things. Here are some photos from my journey through Texas. Enjoy!

Outside Amarillo, Texas
They say everything is big in Texas, including their giant crosses. Hang 'em high!

Granary, outside of Amarillo, Texas 
Windmill outside Amarillo, Texas
I just thought this was a beautiful and classic representation of rural America, and so I couldn't resist taking a photograph of this. I love the big, blue sky littered with clouds.

Outside of Amarillo, Texas
Yep, it's Texas! What a fascinating travel center! I wonder if they sell salvation at bargain prices.

The Big Texan, Amarillo, Texas 
The Big Texan, Amarillo, Texas

The Big Texan is a Western-themed steakhouse, but there is also a neighboring Western-themed hotel. Yes, definitely over-the-top, but that is Texas. Confession: I stayed at the hotel once as a kid on vacation with my parents, and I also ate at the steakhouse. Happily, there were no gunslingers present on the grounds at the time.
The Big Texan, Amarillo, Texas
Ah yes, everything is big in Texas, including cowboy boots.

The Big Texan, Amarillo, Texas 

In Texas, it's all about the steer.
The Big Texan, Amarillo, Texas

 A cowboy welcome.

Painted horse, Amarillo, Texas
I could not resist taking a photograph of this horse statue in downtown Amarillo. It bears the logo of Wells Fargo Bank.

Texas
Miles and miles of land and sky!

Texas 
Texas

Still in Texas, but getting closer to the New Mexico border.

No comments:

Post a Comment