Sunday, August 26, 2012

On the Road, Part Three

New Mexico is truly the Land of Enchantment. I lived in Santa Fe for approximately three years and the land of New Mexico left me with a haunting beauty that resonates to this day. It is a land of parched red earth and mountains shrouded blue with shadow and distance. There is a stillness in the air that is reminiscent of timelessness, and you feel like life has slowed down, giving you respite.

When I lived in New Mexico, I used to love going out for a New Mexican breakfast. I would order my huevos rancheros Christmas-style (with both red and green chile) or I would enjoy a plate of blue corn pancakes, and yes, the corn is naturally blue in color. Another New Mexican favorite of mine are hot, fluffy sopapillas that are often served with an entree. There is nothing better than drizzling honey on one of these puffy fried bread squares and eating it as a sweet counterpoint to your chicken enchiladas' hot chile sauce. New Mexico is truly a magical place. No wonder this land seduced great artists like Ansel Adams and Georgia O'Keefe and continues to seduce artists to this day.

I wish I could have made it up to Santa Fe, or Madrid, or to Cerrillos, or gone all the way up to Taos, or made a trip to Chimayo, but time did not permit. Unfortunately, this was a cross-country move and not a vacation. But I believe I might have some old photographs of New Mexico that I can share in a later post. In the meantime, enjoy this sampling of New Mexico beauty.

Northeastern New Mexico
The clouds just seem to hover in the air, a beautiful stillness, while the land rolls according to a subtle, undulating rhythm.

Northeastern New Mexico
Northeastern New Mexico
Northeastern New Mexico 
The scenery here is suggestive of what you will find outside of Santa Fe.

Northeastern New Mexico
I took this photo outside of Cline's Corner, a popular travel stop east of Albuquerque. From here, you can also take a road to Santa Fe.

Northeastern New Mexico
Mountains blue with distance. Getting closer to Albuquerque.

West of Albuquerque, New Mexico
Working westward from Albuquerque to Gallup and into Arizona. The land becomes more reddish brown and the rolling hills flatten to become mesas.

West of Albuquerque, New Mexico
Wide open land with a haunting spaciousness.

Northwestern New Mexico 
Northwestern New Mexico
East of Gallup, New Mexico
East of Gallup, New Mexico
The last two photos were taken at the Refinery travel stop, fittingly located next to a refinery, just east of Gallup, New Mexico. When traveling through this area, I always get a craving for a green chile cheeseburger from Blake's Lotaburger. What can I say, it's my own little traveling tradition!  

No comments:

Post a Comment