Sunday, December 22, 2013

Seasonal Miscellany

Block Thirty-Seven Mall, Chicago, IL


I like Christmas for all of its colorful decorations.  As I spent time in my hometown last week, I couldn't resist snapping some shots of the Christmas decor featured at a few of the downtown malls.  Like I said, I thought the Christmas decor this year was a little muted, but there were some things that stood out. Above and below, at Block Thirty-Seven, these illuminated stars provided an entire light show featuring a spectrum of colors.  Their festive cycle is included here.

Block Thirty-Seven actually has an aesthetically pleasing interior.  It's just a shame that so much of the retail space remains unoccupied.   The mall is the result of a long, multi-year debate over how to make use of the empty lot where Block Thirty-Seven Mall now stands.  Other ideas that were floated about included a park and just keeping Skate-on-State and the artists' show at this location.  Don't get me wrong, this is a nice mall that already offers some good retail to shoppers, but it's kind of a let-down to see this mall still largely empty after it's been open for a couple of years.







Water Tower Place, Chicago, IL


What would Christmas in Chicago be if I hadn't made at least one trip to Water Tower Place?  I really liked these christmas trees, but, in general, I think I just missed seeing the typical enormous Christmas trees that traditionally served as centerpieces at the different downtown malls.  I didn't see one at the State Street location of Marshall Field, and I remember that as being an annual tradition. Bloomingdale's had a magnificent large Christmas tree, a photo of which I have already posted on here.


For all of you Disney lovers out there.

Nordstrom Mall, Chicago, IL


A cascade of baubles.


A glitz and glamour wreath.

No comments:

Post a Comment