Monday, October 1, 2012

Prescott, AZ

"Everybody's Hometown," Prescott, AZ
I think the sign above sums up Prescott's aspirations the best. A small, historic town situated in the high desert of Arizona, Prescott presents itself as the small hometown you always dreamed of knowing. The old, main part of town spans only a few blocks, with the County Courthouse and its surrounding park marking its center, but within those few blocks Prescott offers a considerable variety of art galleries, boutiques, antique stores, and restaurants.

"Whiskey Row," Prescott, AZ
This stretch of street, known as "Whiskey Row," possesses some historic notoriety. I've been told that both Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday once spent some time here. Today, there are a number of excellent art galleries located along this strip of street.

Trees bordering Courthouse Square, Prescott, AZ
Old trees, Prescott, AZ
These trees of significant age come together to create a verdant canopy over the Courthouse Square. It's a great place to sit and enjoy the shade while watching people walk down "Whiskey Row" and in and out of the many art galleries and shops.

"Whiskey Row," Prescott, AZ 
Art deco buildings, Prescott, AZ
Being from the Midwest, I confess that at first I had mixed feelings about Prescott. On one hand, there are many great art galleries and stores with a Southwestern theme. On the other hand, there are some stores here that remind me of stores I would find in Geneva, St. Charles, and downtown Naperville in Illinois. Sometimes I would come to Prescott and leave a little confused, feeling that my Midwest memories and sensibilities had been teased just a little bit. However, as Prescott grew on me, I found that it possessed just the right balance of Southwestern accent and Midwestern comfort.

Yavapai County Courthouse, Prescott, AZ 
Courthouse and Arizona state flag, Prescott, AZ 
Prescott and desert distance, AZ
Hotel St. Michael has a great pub and bistro located on the ground floor. It serves one of my all-time favorite black bean burgers.

Gazebo and Courthouse, Prescott, AZ 
Prescott, AZ
I like the rambling quality suggested in the slight incline of the city streets.

Courthouse close-up, Prescott, AZ 
On the way home: vast stretches of desert, AZ
This photo was taken at the rest area near Black Canyon on the way home to Phoenix. Just beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment