Sunday, October 28, 2012

Desert Views Outside Apache Junction, AZ

Saguaro and ocotillo, outside Apache Junction, AZ
The above photo was taken along a walking trail at the visitor center near the Superstition Mountains, outside of Apache Junction. I love ocotillos, as many readers of this blog might already know all too well. One of the challenges, though, of taking photographs of ocotillos lies in their spindly, crooked branches, a feature that I find to be very beautiful, but which sometimes makes an ocotillo appear to look insubstantial in a photograph. To be sure, there are some very tall, fully grown ocotillos that enjoy dense growth of a vast number of branches, giving the plant a more solid appearance, but that is not always the case, especially with specimens of young or moderate age. Here, the ocotillo on the right is visually anchored by a palo verde tree present behind it and a large saguaro on the left. Very nice.

Saguaro outside Apache Junction, AZ
I love the saguaro, too. Here, I am looking up at a mature saguaro. The saguaro, like many desert plants, are slow-growers. If I recall correctly, it takes a saguaro about 60 years before they start to grow an arm. It's incredible to imagine such slow and steady growth spanning across decades. We live in a society that stresses immediacy. Quick results, instant satisfaction. There is something to be said for the slow, tenacious pace of a saguaro's growth. It's growth with the long view in mind. Now, of course I realize that saguaros don't possess a human mind. But their rate of growth can serve as a great metaphor for those of us living in a society obsessed with immediate gratification, but yet cannot find contentment. Maybe slow and steady wins the race, after all.

Desert outside Apache Junction, AZ
There is nothing special about this view. Buildings in the foreground, power lines stretching distances. But the background of desert and mountains is simply stunning. This is the reason why I wanted to move back out West. Don't get me wrong: I am a born-and-bred Chicagoan, and I love my hometown in a way I could love no other place, but there is something powerful about the wide open spaces of the American West, the profound quiet of the wilderness, and yet the moodiness of the rocky, mountainous terrain. There is something poetic to the landscape, something potent that borders on the spiritual.

Saguaro skeleton, outside Apache Junction, AZ
I love saguaro skeletons, and so I could not resist taking this photo. It always amazes me that this vertical ribcage is what lies beneath the verdant surface of the saguaro. Somehow, I have an almost cartoonish image in my mind of the interior of a saguaro, due to the liquid the cactus stores. I imagine a cartoon character poking a saguaro and enjoying a tap pouring forth like water from a faucet. It's incredible to see what lies underneath what is to me a botanical mystery.

Superstition Mountains, AZ
I just thought this was a cool idea for a photo. The visitor center has an Old Western style stable that now serves as part of its Western-themed exhibit. Inside now, among other things, are photos of old movie stars that once used the Old Western buildings on this site for making Western films. I thought it would be kind of cool to snap a photo of the Superstition Mountains from inside the doorway of the stable, giving the sense of someone emerging from a darkened interior into the wide open space of the desert and the bright light of the sun. By the way, that snake alert sign on the left, advising everyone to stay on the paved paths and be on the lookout for snakes, was unnecessary, as far as I was concerned. Trust me, I had no intention of straying off the beaten path!

Superstition Mountains, AZ
I posted a photo similar to this one early on in this blog, but today was such a beautiful, sunny day that I couldn't resist including another such photo of the Superstition Mountains. I love the jagged quality of the peaks and the interplay of shadow and light. I love the path bordered on each side by teddy bear cholla cactus. The whole scene looks almost surreal.

Dead tree, outside Apache Junction, AZ
And yes, at least one dead tree had to grace this post of desert photos with its presence. There is something about the juxtaposition of dead trees with living trees that adds dimension to the desert scene. I think I mentioned this before. It is very much an image of the Great American Southwest. Tomorrow, I will post the photos of the ghost town of Goldfield.

No comments:

Post a Comment