Saturday, October 20, 2012

Autumn in the Heart

Cottonwood tree, Boulder, CO
Partly because I was lazy today, and partly because I miss autumn and have not yet gotten Boulder out of my system, I am posting these two photographs from my recent vacation. Contrary to the stated preferences of many people I meet, I love autumn and winter. Autumn, in fact, is my favorite season, and so here I am in Phoenix, suffering from autumn withdrawal. I will have to get back to Sedona soon, or visit Flagstaff, some place in Arizona where autumn is very much alive. It is not until you move to a place without four seasons that you begin to appreciate how they add punctuation to the year, providing a sense of direction and purpose, and a meaningful bio-cycle. Even though Phoenix can get cold during the winter months, somehow enjoying a cup of hot chocolate on a desert night is just not the same as it is in a place where leaves turn scarlet or gold, or where dried brown leaves on the ground scamper off in the chilly breeze, or crackle beneath your feet. I will need another fix of autumn soon. Meanwhile, tomorrow should be a day for taking photographs, and so I promise to contribute more to this blog very, very soon.

Cottonwood tree and moon, Boulder, CO

1 comment:

  1. Autumn & Winter, my favorite seasons in Chicago!

    ReplyDelete