Thursday, August 2, 2012

Saying Goodbye to Chicago, Part Seventeen: The Loop, Vol. Four

LaSalle Street Miscellany

During my excursion to the Loop, I took a moment to appreciate buildings that I confess I didn't know well, but had always taken vague notice of as part of the architectural backdrop. Here are the photographs.

One LaSalle Street Building, Chicago, IL
Classic art deco building. I love the Atlas at the top left shouldering the world. If you look closely at the architectural detail outlining the doorway at the bottom of the photo, you will notice cobs of corn all throughout. LaSalle is Chicago's financial district, and much of the older architecture celebrates the agricultural specialties of the surrounding region.

Architectural relief, One LaSalle Street, Chicago, IL

Architectural relief, One LaSalle Street, Chicago, IL
One unique feature of some art deco architectural reliefs is their use of both European and Native American imagery as decorative motifs.

Architectural relief, One LaSalle Street, Chicago, IL
Acknowledging the great voyage that made it all possible!

Post-modern hodgepodge, Chicago, IL

Post-modern hodgepodge, close-up, Chicago, IL
The architectural purist in me would love to see this building remain unaltered, but there is something striking about grafting this modern addition on top of the original neo-classical structure, with its bold blue and green colored steel beams and large glass windows.

Chicago Board of Trade, Chicago, IL
Yes, I know, what is someone like me, a member of the 99%, doing taking a photo of the iconic center of the 1%? What can I say? I love architectural beauty, especially art deco beauty.

Chicago Board of Trade, Chicago, IL

Architectural detail, Chicago Board of Trade, Chicago, IL

Again, the juxtaposition of European and Native American imagery. Also, once again the inclusion of the region's agricultural staples as part of the overall architectural theme, with the depiction of wheat on the left and cobs of corn on the right. I love the use of local imagery, as it makes the architecture more organically part of its surroundings.

1 comment:

  1. The CBOT building (141 West Jackson), my home away from home for many years!

    ReplyDelete