Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Saying Goodbye to Chicago, Part Fifteen: The Loop, Vol. Two

Two Views of the Sears Tower

Completed in 1973, the Sears Tower has dominated the Chicago skyline for decades with its now-iconic architecture, and it is also one of my all-time favorites. The Sears Tower manages to balance beauty and grace with simplicity. I love seeing it as an assembly of black cubes combining to create a grander whole that aspires skyward, block by block. As a kid of the 1970s, I always thought of the Sears Tower as my childhood companion. I remember being a kid in school, doodling on paper and generally dwelling in my own world while the teacher taught class. I would draw the Chicago skyline, one of my favorite subjects, and the highlight for me was drawing the Sears Tower. Step after step, I would reach upward with my pencil, then back down again in zigzags to the bottom of the page. And there would be the Sears Tower, marking the conclusion of my drawing. For me, that unique city skyline was the very essence of Chicago.

The Sears Tower, Chicago, IL
I took this photo Sunday morning. I was just west of the Sears Tower, on my way to Union Station for my trip to Milwaukee, and I just couldn't resist taking this photograph. Close up, the Sears Tower is just gigantic; you gain a real appreciation for its colossal size.

The Sears Tower, Chicago, IL
I took this yesterday when I arrived at the Rookery to take photographs. I love this photo because it places the Sears Tower at home in the greater context of the surrounding city. You can also see its upper levels in greater detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment