Sunday, February 17, 2013

Three Snapshots from a Sunday Drive




Today was the day. We finally made our way to Sedona for a Jeep tour. The weather was beautifully sunny, and the sky was unobstructed and blue. I could tell that I am transitioning to becoming a Phoenician when I got excited looking at the San Francisco Peaks, just north of Flagstaff, and found them to be snowcapped. So, so beautiful. When I lived in Chicago and took flights back to Arizona, I would know we would soon be starting our descent into Phoenix when I looked out the window and saw the San Francisco Peaks, and then the red rocks of Sedona. I knew it would not be too long before our arrival. I confess that I really miss snow, and having four full seasons, especially autumn, but I love making this trek up north and spending the day amidst such desert magnificence.


I took this photo off the road, just two miles south from the exit leading to Sedona. This is where Arizona slowly changes to resemble northern New Mexico. Looking at a sight like this brings back so many memories. This is also the part of Arizona where you can catch the sight of ravens in flight or in descent during their hunt for prey. We don't have ravens in Phoenix; it's only when I come up north to Sedona, or to Prescott, when I can spot them gliding gracefully upon the open desert air.


And, finally, our arrival in Sedona, and this is where I will stop for the night. Originally, I had intended to post selected photos from my Sedona Jeep tour, but I got home later than planned and still had to make another soup (this one tomato garden vegetable). I was also acutely aware of the fact that a new episode of The Walking Dead was just a couple of brief hours away, and I had to get everything finished before then. First things first. Oh well, the good news is that I have more photos to share, which I will do tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment