Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Enchanting Beauty of New Mexico

I spent some time rummaging before I found some old photos I took of New Mexico during my previous visits years ago. The area around Chimayo is a mystical place. Catholics often flock to the Santuario in Chimayo to pray for miracles. It is said that the dirt itself is blessed and many people will scoop up Chimayo dirt to take with them for use with prayer. However, my understanding is that the belief in Chimayo as a mystical place even precedes the arrival of Christianity to the area, as the Native American peoples also regarded this area as a spiritual place. Whether or not these beliefs are true, I cannot say, but I can say that there is something exceptional about the beauty of this area, something singular, a beauty that possesses an extraordinary presence. So, please, enjoy these few photos.

The Long Quiet Road to Chimayo, NM 
Santuario de Chimayo, Chimayo, NM
Rock formation, Chimayo, NM

No comments:

Post a Comment