Monday, August 27, 2012

Random Photos in Downtown Phoenix

This afternoon I decided to take a trip downtown to the Phoenix Art Museum, but I forgot that it is closed on Mondays. (Note to self: check the website before venturing out into 107 degrees Fahrenheit.) At any rate, that didn't stop me from taking a few random photos of things I liked. Here they are. Enjoy!

Phoenix, AZ
This is a view of Central Avenue in downtown Phoenix, looking north from McDowell, where the Phoenix Art Museum is located. A few years ago, the city of Phoenix constructed a new light rail commuter service, which spans from downtown Phoenix (and I believe farther west than that) through Tempe and to Mesa, linking up two campuses of Arizona State University in the process. Hopefully, the light rail will be expanded and new route lines will be added in the future.

Wall art, Phoenix Art Museum, Phoenix, AZ
This artwork graces the wall at the entrance of the Phoenix Art Museum. Facing outward, it is one of the first art exhibits you see.

Statue, Phoenix Art Museum, Phoenix, AZ
If I remember correctly, Phoenix Art Museum has a sculpture garden, but sculptures can also be found on the front lawn near the entrance. This red Tyrannosaurus Rex was kind of cool. Look who wants out of his cage!

Statue, Phoenix Art Museum, Phoenix, AZ 
Statue, front view, Phoenix Art Museum, Phoenix, AZ
I have no idea if this statue possesses any deeper meaning, but I thought cube guy was very cool. It's located right in the middle of the parking lot.

Red Bird of Paradise, Phoenix, AZ
The red bird of paradise is not a native resident; it is a transplant like so many of us. Still, it might as well be a native, given what a popular flower it is in the Valley. This is one of my favorite flowers, one that I missed very much while I was living away. When the flowers first bloom, there is a sharp distinction between the red center and the yellow edges, but as the flowers age these colors begin to seep into one another until you get a beautiful fiery orange. These flowers are very colorful and festive beneath a blue sky and a hot desert sun. They grow on bushes that actually get to be very big. I don't think some people realize just how big the red bird of paradise gets when they plant them in some very tight spots.

Check it out: Phoenix Art Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment