Sunday, August 12, 2012

Baroque Beauty, Chicago Style

The Century, Chicago, IL
I have always loved the exterior of this historic building on Clark Street and Diversey Parkway. Originally, I believe, this building housed a theater, in the grand old tradition, but in the 1970s, if I recall my childhood days correctly, it was converted into an indoor shopping mall. The exterior is beautiful and very baroque with its highly elaborate ornamentation, but don't look for anything similar with the interior, which was gutted in the 1970s and made modern for the shopping mall. The Century was a nice shopping mall back in the 1970s and early 1980s. Today, its main anchor is its cinema that features foreign and independent films. The cinema's concession stand also sells some of the freshest and best damn popcorn I have had in a long time. Who would have thought that popcorn would help to lend a place distinction?!

Architectural detail of the Century, Chicago, IL

No comments:

Post a Comment