Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Saying Goodbye to Chicago, Part One

Chicago is my hometown. I was born and raised here, spent 30-plus years of my life here, including these past two years, having come back after living away from here for almost a decade. It seems like in every corner on the northside of the city lurks a specter from my past, a memory from my long history of living in this city. As I prepare to return to the Great American Southwest, I want to devote a series of posts to photos displaying how I wish to remember my hometown of Chicago.

City in a Garden: Buckingham Fountain, Sears ("Willis") Tower to the Left, Chicago, IL
The contemporary version of "the City in a Garden" concept came into bloom thanks to the former Mayor Daley (the son), whose love of greenery and landscaping helped to beautify the city. We are deeply indebted to him for this.

The Chicago Skyline from the Front Lawn of the Field Museum, Chicago, IL
The Chicago skyline from the Field Museum entrance is a magnificent sight. In my very biased opinion, few cities, if any, can boast of possessing such an architectural masterpiece like the Chicago skyline. Out of this architectural cacophony, a jumbled harmony. Paradoxical, but true. This photograph brings back so many memories from when I was a kid visiting the Field Museum, my favorite museum, with my parents. Coming out from a day of visiting exhibits of mummies and dinosaurs, displays of world gems, we would be greeted with the expansive sight of the city. See the Sears ("Willis") Tower on the left, and, if you look closely, in the center, on the lawn, the Vienna hot dog vendor. Vienna beef products are truly a Chicago tradition. I always order my Vienna hot dog or Polish with everything, including neon green relish and extra sport peppers. Don't forget the celery salt and you must use mustard--no ketchup!

Lake Michigan in Summer, Chicago, IL
Lake Michigan, or The Lake, is simply stunning, and that is all there is to say about it.

Buckingham Fountain, John Hancock Center and Chicago Skyline in Background, Chicago, IL
When I was a kid, my family and I would go on picnics near Buckingham Fountain on the Fourth of July. It was always packed, with families waiting throughout the day to see the fireworks display at night. I also remember Buckingham Fountain's multicolored light show at night.

Old Water Tower, with John Hancock Center and Water Tower Place in Background, Chicago, IL
The Old Water Tower, one of the few downtown buildings to survive the Great Chicago Fire. Now part of a small green park just off of Michigan Avenue, this is a popular place to bring a coffee or tea and enjoy some people-watching, as the crowds move between shopping destinations. This has always provided me with a nice respite from downtown Chicago's busy comings and goings.

Check it out: Choose Chicago

No comments:

Post a Comment